Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Does a woman have an absolute right over what she does with her body?

Anorexia and Indefinite Fasting (Satyagraha). It may be an Indian thing but if you saw the film Gandhi you get the idea. Irom Sharmila Chanu is a Meitei tribal who has for the past nine years in solitary confinement been force fed by the Indian State to prevent her death in her protest against the AF(SP)A 1958. A minister in Andhra Pradesh went on a hunger strike for about three days and the same Government gave way and are creating a separate Telengana State. With Irom Sharmila her body is being consumed because the nose pipe they force feed her with doesn't do the whole job. No one has ever lasted this long but in theory her liver starts to be consumed, she has amenorrhea, brittle bones. I guess it upsets me if there were any anorexics about who had an opinion. I don't tell her what to do I send her books. She likes to read. Obviously if I could organize a jail break like Star Wars episode IV. It's a strange world we live in I find her both repulsive and attractive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment